Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ridiculous.

I've had major homework.
MAJOR.
Sculpting and printmaking.
My worst nightmares.
Sculpting was something new.
We started out with picking an animal. I can't tell you how many clay drafts I went through.
I started with a lion, lizard, dog, alligator, rhino, elephant, and more that I can't think of at the moment.
I landed on a frog. It was cute. 
I put my draft to work.
I started sculpting, kill me.
I took a horrible cut out of it. It was looking awful, so I went to the store with my dadeo and bought some plaster to mix up myself.
It was the wrong color...which I didn't figure out until it sat for the 8 hours to set up.
So I returned to the beast.
I almost died when this happened
I glued it, it didn't work.
I know it's ugly but it still hurt me inside.
My only options were to admit to my teacher what I had done and beg him to make me more or to fix this mess myself.
I was too chicken. I went and bought more plaster. Yay it was the right kind.
I started, then realize a little too late that the eyes had been shaved flat by none other than me.
I glued plaster to it. It didn't work.
We formed new plaster over it dipping one of the eyes in a cup. It got stuck...in the cup...just my luck. We had to break it off. It worked. We dipped the other and chipped of the cup.
I started to carve once again. The new plaster broke off and I was back where I started with the flat eyes. I mixed thick plaster and rubbed layer upon layer letting it dry for an hour and finally got the shape I wanted. I carved away the unwanted and was left with this.
 It's mostly done! Thank goodness!

While this was going on I was worried about this little project or a rather large one (18x24). 
It's the rough draft.
I needed to finish up the tires.
Lucky I have a twin for that. She was awesome, still is.
It's the CVO Breakout. 
I'm doing it for my Dad. It's his favorite bike.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow the frog is cute.... and that bike is amazing.

DJ said...

That bike! Holy cow! I so need your art in my house. BADLY!